Serious stamp collectors like to know whether the stamp is printed on chalky paper or not. I’m told the only accepted way is to make a mark on the perforation with a piece of pure silver. I was asked to make a tester and here it is ( with the help of my wood turner friend).
For scale – across the petals is about 20mm and the pin is about 50 mm. The pin is stainless steel for strength, but the flower and pin protector are sterling. It is not assayed as it only weighs about 3 grams.
The next development will making more and gold plating the trumpet.
I’ve been silversmithing for years and I’ve a photograph of practically everything I’ve made. I’ve just passed a milestone – kilometer stone would be better. Since I started tracking my work on a database, each photo of a design or variant has a unique number. I’ve just passed number 1000! – it has taken me 30+ years though.
Here’s number 1
And here’s number 1000
The next target is the number of discrete items made – rapidly approaching 2000.
I’ve a pair of shark’s tooth cufflinks back in stock. (Dfferent teeth – probably not the same shark so each cufflink is silver copy of a fossilised shark’s tooth – I think the apostrophe is in the right place)
The new pendant is a small single tooth, which I would anticipate being worn high on the neck.
I’ve mastered a feature of my shopping cart to allow items under £29 to be sent by recorded delivery rather than special delivery – reducing the postage costs from £6.50 to £3. The shopping cart sorts this out.
When N & P got married, I was asked to make a gift for them which were a pair of napkin rings which interlocked. So far so good – I’ve done that before. When child C came along, I was commissioned to make a further napkin ring. The easy choice is to add it on to the side, but isn’t it better to put the child between the parents?
I’ve made three – one has been sold and one will go in each of my Artweek shows and then later in May onto the website. These are an improved design and manufacturing process, but they are still all slightly different. The size is just over 6 cm across the wings.
Some of you will have seen my sets of postcards with the red backgrounds, each showing a different selection of my work. You can see the cards if you put ‘John Huddleston Silver’ into Google and then click on ‘Photos’.
However, I’ve just designed and had printed a flyer with some of my newer work. Here are two low-res images and a link to a pdf version. Don’t forget it is letter folded in hardcopy.
These spoons are back from the Assay Office where they have been carefully marked in the bowl. They need finishing – final checks and a full polish, then they will be made available shortly in my website shop.
Keum (or Kum) Boo is a process for affixing fine gold foil onto fine silver for decoration. See on my main website for more detail at this page. Up until now , I have fused the gold onto fine silver, but i’ve just tried successfully to put foil on sterling silver by depletion silvering. To pretreat the sterling sheet, I did the heat / acid/ heat / acid cycle seven times, but the end result is good. I am pleased with the result and will do more.
I’ve just had back from the London Assay Office, two ingots with the Diamond Jubilee mark and hallmarked for next year i.e. ‘n’ not ‘m’. These are trade samples and cannot be sold this year. I’ll load a picture soon.
I would do it now but my Seagate Goflex home network hard drive is not working properly on any of our machines and I’m waiting for the third attempt at a solution from Seagate’s customer support. Not buying another one from them!